Saturday, October 10, 2015


EdTech Future Ready Summit


Can't remember a day when I've felt as inspired to launch a new adventure. Having just shifted into the Assistant Director role in my department and loving every minute of it as I learn so many new things, I'm already thinking of what new major adventure I can pursue that gets me out of my routine suburban American life. This course is timely that we have several new tech initiatives in our department and staff are struggling to keep up. I am excited to take some relevant ideas and put them into immediate action.
I met a teacher who taught in Egypt, Zimbabwe, and Malaysia with her husband. I couldn't get a word in edgewise, however, I was fascinated by her stories as I share some of her experiences and desire to recapture that sense of disorientation and wonder in an unfamiliar cultural and linguistic environment. Also discovered that Todd and his wife have also taught abroad. Meeting people who have that fever to immerse themselves in something foreign is so contagious for me.

Listened to David Jakes' keynote this morning. Below are my takeaways.

Change the language: ideation, innovation
Develop a new lens and mindset
Take strategic risks

Session 1: Juan De Luca - Presentations that Speak
Learned about some applications that can add variety and interest to presentations. While the focus was on student presentations, I got some ideas about how to improve my own presentations to teachers and administrators. Downloaded thinglink and movenote.

Session 2: Nichole Carter - Spice Up Your PD
Wow. Information is leaking out my ears. The content of this summit, and particularly this session, is over my head, but I can see the surface of the water from here given my very basic experience and knowledge of technology. My interest is piqued and I love seeing the connections between technology and learning. So powerful.
Takeaways: Flipped PD, EdCamp, Learning Management System (LMS), use Google Docs to deliver PD, Schoology, digital citizenship

2 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiasm!!! I too am in a similar spot when it comes to learning about and implementing technology Tech is leaking out of my ears too! LOL Such great takeaways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just now reading through your experience at the Summit. So glad this was a meaningful professional time for you! I work with Nichole and can reconnect you if you want.

    ReplyDelete