Saturday, October 24, 2015

An Old Man Learns Some New Tricks


I've always wanted to learn to make videos with iMovie. Here's my first one: Mount St. Helens Hike July 1, 2015

Not bad, eh? While I don't see a future career in film-making ahead of me, I do think there are some very practical applications to my work as a district special education leader. Thanks, Todd!

One of the most potent features of this course has been the natural high level of engagement that it elicits. I know not all adults are as enamored with technology. I have a few administrators I supervise that avoid tech at all costs. That puzzles (and sometimes frustrates) me. It's becoming a natural part of our personal and professional lives. It's not something we can escape and the expectation is that we learn it, know it, and model it.

We discussed the poster at right today. I have mixed feelings about the "right" and "wrong" of it unless we're talking about "ends" and "means". In the same way that it doesn't make sense for the making of a hoe to be an end in itself, but rather a tool to aid in the growing of food, I agree with premise that technology is a tool for a higher purpose.

The other big takeaway for me today is the design and utility of websites and a web presence. I attended a meeting this week where a program presented its new site to be launched next month. It was designed on School Wires rather than Red Dot and it was beautiful and effective. I have hopes of redesigning several of our web pages on the PPS Special Ed site.

Time to draft my plan for my Final Project!

1 comment:

  1. Glad the discussion on website presence was helpful. I'll be anxious to see your new website. It's always like opening a new gift when something like is rolled out. It really becomes the face of your organization, and your best chance to make a great impression on your community.

    ReplyDelete